Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Cold and Flu Days of Winter


During the summer we often refer to the long, hot days, that nearly unbearable as "The Dog Days of Summer." At the oposite end of the year we meet another kind of day, yet still just as unbearable: "The Cold and Flu Days of Winter".

Late fall into winter always presents a challenge in our house. Our kids are constantly (or so it seems) plaugued with some sort of leak at any given exit point of their body. Tissue always on hand. Antibacterial spray at the ready. Reminders of sneezing into elbows and not hands given.

After chatting with my friend, Melissa (who has two and a half times as many children as we do), I got to thinking about all the things we can do to keep our families as healthy as possible. For the record, she and I have this conversation every year. It never has lost its importance. In fact, it becomes more and more relevant as we have more of our children going off to school.

So in no particular order here is the "to do" list I've come up with:
* Eat Well - balanced meals that are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
* Wash Your Hands - this can not be done enough.
* Get Plenty of Sleep - finda routine that works for you and your body and stick to it!
* Take a Multi-Vitamin - I'm guilty of not doing this regularly, how about you?
* Get a Flu Shot - I've seen this work for some and have miserable outcomes for others. Do your research and do what's best for you.
* Avoid Sharing Objects - cups, food, utensils, pens, pencils, etc.
* Avoid Touching Your Nose, Mouth, and Eyes
* Reduce Stress
* Avoid crowds and keep your distance from people whom you know are ill.
* Exercise Regularly

What's on your list? How do you go about keeping your family healthy during the winter? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

In the meantime, I pray that each one of you stay healthy this season!

Always,

3 comments:

  1. Great advice Andrea! At the beginning of this month, my whole family, including me, got sick with the flu. I tried taking as much vitamin C as I could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dark Buckwheat honey is very good for soothing a sore throat and helping with a cough.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails