Monday, January 12, 2009

What?! I can't hear you. It's too loud in here!


Lately, it seems like our house is uncontrollably loud. Maybe it's cabin fever - everyone and everything is expressing it's pent up energy by being 10 times louder than a "normal" day. The kids are loud - yelling, banging, singing. The dog is loud - barking at anything that moves. Anything that plugs in is loud because it can't be heard over all the previously listed cast of characters. The mom (me) is loud because it seems that no one can hear me. "What?! I can't hear you. The _______ is too loud!" It's exasperating!

In the midst of the the chaos, it's easy to get overwhelmed. This week I'm starting The Love Dare. It's geared towards improving your relationship with your spouse. Day one has spoke to how I react to my family and it's current volume. The key verse is "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2 The authors go to say that "when you choose to be patient, you respond in a positive way to a negative situation."

So, I've asked myself, "Does raising my voice to be heard over the chaos show gentleness and patience?"

Obviously, the answer is no. Today is my goal is to speak with gentleness and patience to my entire family. The Love Dare authors remind its audience that "few people are as hard to live with as an impatient person." I want to be easy to live with.

How about you? How do you react in the midst of chaos? What goals do you have for yourself today? What would make you easy to live with that you currently lacking?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails