Monday, April 5, 2010

Living Fearlessly :: My Mom

My mom, is one of my best friends. Our life lent itself towards that direction from the beginning - being as she was a single mom, raising a daughter, while growing and figuring herself out. We grew up together. We've taken many steps in our lives together. While many mother/daughter duos will find there steps growing farther apart, ours continue to remain close.

Recently, my mom [Vickie], has started a new adventure and I want to share it with you - be encouraged by it!!

Her adventure starts with the threat of losing a job she has had for years. As many people have experienced in our recent economy my mom's company started down-sizing and relocating the bulk of their employees. One of the facilities they lost was her building in the Puget Sound area. Thankfully, she was spared and given the opportunity to work from home. However, there has always been the looming possibility that the company may decide to no longer support tele-commuters. Can you imagine that anxiety?

Well, we all have options in life: be procavtive, reactive, or do nothing at all. My mom, decided to be proactive - I love that about her! She started researching different fields she could train and enter into. Eventually she found herself taking a few weekend courses in the medical field [hang on, people, it doesn't end here]. After all, medical professionals are an invaluable part of our country & there seems to always be a demand for their services.

After getting her feet wet in the medical field she found that while she enjoyed it, it wasn't her passion. She continued to evaluate what her calling was, what her gifts were, and what would fulfill life long dreams?

Within two weeks she had dropped her medical courses and found a new institute of learning: New York Fashion Academy, Seattle.

She is now fulfilling a life-long dream of wanting to design clothing! Already she has begun courses in Draping and Pattern Making. How great is that!? I would love to recognize God's gifting in my life and fearlessly take steps to bring them to fruition.

You can follow her journey at: http://infashionat50something.blogspot.com/

I love you, mom! I'm so proud of you discovering you dreams, gifts, and talents! Keep going, I can't wait to follow you on this journey.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails