Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Day 5: Are you listening?


When we are in a relationship with someone it is inevitable that there is a time to listen and a time to be heard. Most of us have young children. Like me, do you ever find yourself telling your children, "okay honey, I need you to put on you listening ears." I say this to my son quite often. Listening, however, is a life skill - something that needs to be practiced and refined and used throughout your life.

Today's challenge is to assess if you are a good listener. The Couple's Devotional Bible says this, "Good listening is essential in maintaining a healthy marriage." Below you will find a quiz for evaluating your listening skill because ladies it's not just about putting on listening ears - there are other queues that indicate whether you are listening or not.

Listening Quiz:
On a scale of one (hardly ever) to five (almost always) rate yourself on the frequency of each of the following good-listening habits.

_____ I maintain direct eye contact.
_____ I focus my attention on what my partner is saying rather than on what I'm going to say next.
_____ I listen for feelings as well as facts.
_____ I avoid letting my mind wander.
_____ I tune in instead of tune out when difficult or controversial issues come up.
_____ I think first, then respond.
_____ I think of questions to ask and then ask them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails